Monday, February 21, 2005

Ohio Governor Candidate For Sale On EBay

Now's your chance to buy your very own Governor. Ebay bidding starts at $900.
Greetings:

My name is Larry Bays. I am a Republican for the working people, and I am running for Governor of Ohio. In an attempt to raise money for my campaign, I am auctioning myself off to the highest bidder. I will come to your home or business anywhere in Ohio one (1) eight-hour day each month during the first year that I am in office. I will paint, clean, any handy man job you have.

The Akron Beacon Journal says it's legal.

Carlo LoParo, a spokesman for the secretary of state's office, said Bays may have found "a gray area in the law."

"While Ohio's election bribery statutes refer to offering something of value for a vote, they do not specifically address offering something of future value for a campaign contribution," LoParo said.

LoParo said Bays' auction will not violate any campaign finance laws as long as the winning bid does not exceed the $2,500 limit for an individual contribution to a campaign.

Guess that means you can Buy It Now for $2,500.

UPDATE: What is it with Ohioans and Ebay today? OSU President Karen Holbrook was also on Ebay, but they pulled her auction after bidding exceeded $10,000,000.